A common misconception about pools is that it’s fine to have anything fall into the water. That is what the chlorine is for: cleaning out any of the germs and chemicals that regular fresh or salt water wouldn’t wash away. The reality couldn’t be further from the truth. While chlorine is useful in keeping a pool clean, it’s not a miracle cure for water. In fact, because of chlorine being involved, there are certain chemicals and substances that should never be in your pool.
Dead Skin Cells, Lotions, and Body Oils
We all know those huge signs that are around every public pool, those that are a long list of things you should never do on deck. One of the most prominent items on those lists is to not get into the pool without showering. Why is that the case, though? Your body is covered by dead skin cells, naturally occurring oils on your hair and skin, as well as anything else that may be on your body at the time, like sunscreen. When these substances get in your pool water, the chemicals in your pool water have to work harder, and require more maintenance. On rare occasions, if someone is jumping into the pool without showering off perfume or body lotion, a toxic mixture might start forming within the water.
Direct Pool Shock
Pool shock is essentially a substance that brings an extreme boost of chlorine to your pool water. Think of it as caffeine for your pool water. Pool shock isn’t something that should never be in your pool, but it needs to be applied properly. If it is added directly, then your pool liner can become bleached and weakened, causing leaks around your pool’s deck. You should never put pool shock directly into the water by itself. Instead, dilute it with a bucket before pouring it in. If you are doing the chemical balancing for the pool yourself, make sure to do the same with all other chemicals.
Not only should you never urinate in the pool because it’s gross, it can also be dangerous. Uric acid, a compound that is in urine, can mix together with chlorine to form trichloramine and cyanogen chloride. These are toxic substances which can cause breathing problems, as well as burning, irritating sensations in the skin and eyes.
While keeping track of what should never be in your pool can be difficult, maintaining a constant check up and making your pool rules clear can help your deck’s lifespan. If you are looking for help in keeping your pool clean and safe, contact Blue Chip today for the best Pool Service in South Florida.